Saturday 12 July 2014

I was lost in the city

Art and Fear
I was lost in the city
 
 
Why am I afraid? What holds me back from creating what I know I want to create? None of that 'fearing success or failure' for me I feel. It might all sound too esoteric or just good old semantics for some. But here goes...
 
 
I think what holds me back from pushing myself further is the nagging feeling that I has nothing to say. Wait, hear me out!
Ok, so I have a typical 9-5 job pushing a desk. I really enjoy my job, as difficult as it is. It does however drain me of energy, physical, mental, emotionally and spiritually. You see I think I am an artist. I know I am an artist! You see I create! I create images. In my books that defines me as an artist (I will include those who create under the umbrella of crafts) For me an artist sees the world, interprets and creates a representation of that experience. No matter how that final product is consumed. Sat on, eaten, viewed, listened to, or however it is used by the public (or oneself), it was created.
Now the nitty-gritty... To interpret something you need to have an opinion regarding the subject. What if your feelings and thoughts regarding the subject are just mundane, or silly, or just nostalgic and has no relevance in the world we live in today? What if what I have to say is just not important? What if what I have to say is seen as pretentious? How would I feel if my work is viewed as a waste of time? If I succumb to that nagging feeling, I have nothing to say.
So fear of saying something holds me back from saying anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment