Sunday 25 October 2015

Arundel Castle and the Chapel of St Nicholas

The Gear, or the Intent

So I've used already posted using this subtitle (The Gear, or the Intent) Do I shoot what I am drawn to, or does my equipment dictate what I shoot?
Last time (see blog dated 2015_04_01) I spoke about the actually camera body, and how that affects the style of shooting. I week or so ago, we visited Arundel Castle and with the amazing Chapel of St Nicholas on it's grounds. As I had an unfinished roll of Ilford FP4 plus in my little Leica iii(a), I popped on the Voilgtlander 35 Color-Skopar and the Universal viewfinder from Leica and packed that in my bag, along with a few extra rolls of the FP4 plus. These were developed in some Adox APH-09 and scanned on a CanoScan 9000F.

Going into the chapel of St Nicholas you get a sense of time passing slowly. On the scale of a human life, this is deep-time. This complex was built in around 1000 years ago. Yes 1000 years ago. That it is still standing is very impressive and was very humbling to be able to walk around inside and breath in the history. 

Now, I know I could get technically better shots in this low-light space (and maybe someday I will swop-out for a high ISO digital system) But, for now THIS is how I felt when walking through the chapel. It felt mysterious and dark. It felt close-in and intimate. Was I able to convey those adjectives? Did my equipment enable me to shoot what I felt? Do these images convey my intent? I can't say. That is not my purpose. I have to shoot what I shoot and how I shoot it. They job of critic is out of my hands. All I can do is produce what I feel. I am one of the lucky ones I feel in that I have the tools to visualise what I feel. 

The Long Sleep


Watchful keep


Mother and Child

Last rest

Side-by-side forever


Holy Centurion

As always, thanks for having a look, and happy shooting. Antz

No comments:

Post a Comment