Sunday 19 April 2015

Two Icicles and style

The Gear, or the Intent

So I've been thinking about how my choice of camera on any given day affects my style of shooting for that day. Does the type of camera affect my style of shooting? Looking at my contact sheets I do get a sense that it does to a certain extent.

I find that using my compact allows me to get closer and at a lower angle. This, I find gives the image a more intimate 'feel', a snapshot if you will. But then I also like what the regular SLR, or rangefinder can provide. I get a more thoughtful approach to selecting subject and composition. Both work for me, and both deliver results I enjoy.



The Little Prince @ Covent Garden 2015



The Back of the Crowd @ Piccadilly Circus 2015

So the the question is: does my style dictate which camera I use and what I choose to shoot, OR does the choice of camera for the day dictate my style for that particular day? I think the jury is still out on this one, but it's fun to this issue to consider.



The Ascent @ Hammersmith 2015



The Watchers @ Aldwych 2015

And as always, thanks for reading and happy shooting. A

3 comments:

  1. Hallo Anton!
    I agree, the choise of the camera put my mind in a different way to think, but film makes me think best, not use my xpro1 on the streets anymoore, have it for other photosessions offcourse, it´s still a good camera, but a roll of Tri-x give me the right soul into my pics, no doubt of that and that roll in combination with my Oly 35 SP I feel complete as a streetphotographer.
    With film I got much moore procent ceepers.
    You want a Leica M6? yea me too, but that have to wait, my G.Zuiko 42/1.7 is approximatly the same quality as a Summicron lens.
    Only issue is for the 1/500 max asa 800 max and a little loud. I allways push 400 to 800 so thats ok for me, but in a sunny day it´s almost near the maximum speed, maybe I have to buye a 2 step greyfilter.
    About the loudness I don´t like to shoot too close to peoples faces, did that earlier but I don´t get the whole story in the scene, my personal thoughts offcourse.
    Can´t wait to see you in London Street Hunter meet up in june! that gonna be awesome mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, only just over a month to go, and YES, it is going to be EPIC!!!!! I can't wait to meet you guys as well.
      I think I have actually settled on something that I really enjoy using (the main aim of course) I just picked up a Color-Skopar 35mm and using it with my Bessa-R I feel I am in heaven. It is EXACTLY what I want (yes, I might even stop dreaming about a M6 because this combo is THAT GOOD!!!)
      I loved my Oly 35 Trip from the minute I picked it up, and I love the Zuiko glass that Olympus match with their cameras. I never really looked at their rangefinders though. I did use a 35RC a couple of days ago, and found it quirky. It didn't feel very instinctive to me though. It is nice a light, small and very capable, but with a few issues. But they are issues that you can work around... as you discovered.
      Have you ever used KENTMERE? Do you process your own film mate?
      Hope all is well, and happy shooting :-))

      Delete
  2. Very cool photo's Anton! I love the guy in the Bowler! :)

    ReplyDelete